Vision. to be a world-class organization providing leadership
in fisheries education and research . .
state-of-the-art infrastructure and attracting globally
competent faculty and students. . .
Painting by S K Sharma, ACTO, CIFE
- Conduct post-graduate programmes in fisheries sciences
- Basic and strategic research in frontier areas of fisheries science
- Human Resource Development, capacity building and skill development through training, education and extension
- Vision 2050
- Masters’ & Doctoral Programmes
- Fisheries Resource Management
- Aquatic Animal Health Management
- Fish Nutrition & Feed Technology
- Fish Physiology & Biochemistry
- Post-Harvest Technology
- Fish Genetics and Breeding
- Fish Biotechnology
- Fisheries Extension
- Aquatic Environmental Management
- Fisheries Economics
Spanning 6 specialised Departments & 4 Centres equipped with up-to-date laboratories and farm facilities, CIFE's academic breadth is extensive. CIFE has diverse and eminent faculty with over 95% of them holding Ph.D. They are drawn from the best universities around India and have been trained in leading universities all around the world.
CIFE prides itself in being a progressive and truly multicultural institution with students and faculty drawn from across India. Students are selected through a national level entrance examination. International students also make up the enrolment resulting in valuable cross-cultural exposure. CIFE alumni include over 1000 flag bearers who are driving aquaculture engine across the globe and are part of brilliant research teams. Till date over 5100 students have completed their degrees, diplomas and certificate courses including 130 foreign students.
CIFE has an excellent faculty-student ratio with focus on one-to-one interaction and student accomplishments. While the full-time degree courses remain the flagship, other need-based customised programmes are offered by CIFE. Professional Development Programme (PDP), Entrepreneurial Development Programme (EDP) and Skill Development Programmes (SDPs) are organised by CIFE and its Centres creating a cadre of competent para-professionals and confident entrepreneurs.
Besides, CIFE is recognised as the only Centre of Excellence for Advanced Faculty Training (CAFT) in Fisheries wherein more than 250 faculty/scientists from State Agricultural University and ICAR institutes have been trained.
Recent Research Achievements
- Research Breakthrough: commercial farming of tiger shrimp (P. monodon) using inland saline water has been developed by CIFE - first of its kind in the aquaculture domain
- Commercial scale farming of pacific white shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei) using inland saline water in farmers ponds in Haryana
- Seed production of giant freshwater prawn (M. rosenbergii) using inland ground saline water
- Ready to eat fish products like fish sausages and fish paneer
- Developed a prototype of a water treatment device based on electro-adsorption principle for a chlorination /dechlorination free decontamination of water (Patent filed)
- Development, standardization and application of quantitative real-time PCR for different shrimp viruses (WSSV, IHHNV, MBV and HPV) and M. rosenbergii (MrNV) and extra small virus (XSV)
- Produced monoclonal antibodies against M. rosenbergii (MrNV) and extra small virus (XSV) and developed immunodiagnostics to MrNV
- Developed DNA vaccine construct against Edwardsiella tarda which expresses DNA antigen against E. tarda and interferon gamma gene of Labeo rohita
- Development of RNAi-based vaccine for white spot syndrome virus of shrimp
- DNA barcodes were developed for fishes representing Perciformes, Pleuronectiformes, Scorpaeniformes, Siluriformes and Tetraodontiformes
- Development of transgenic zebrafish that expresses red fluorescent protein on exposure to heavy metals
- Development of bacterial biosensors that sense toxic levels of Cd, Zn, Pb and Hg ions
- Identification of bacterial isolates that are capable of degrading lignocellulosic materials
- Developed bacterial fertilizers for Brackishwater aquaculture
- Isolation of phosphate mobilizing bacteria from inland saline resources
- Documentation of ITKs in fisheries sector
- Development of policy framework for fisheries and aquaculture development in India
- New research initiative in the area of radio-ecology in fisheries. A fully functional National Center on Aquatic Radioecology (one of its kind in India) has been developed with funding support from BRNS, Mumbai
- Seven Patents, one copyright, one trademark and 377 research publications in high impact factor journals in last five years (2009-2013).
- Inland Saline Aquaculture
- Utilization and Conservation of Ornamental Fish Resources
National Network / Platforms
- National Agricultural Higher Education
- Fish Health
- DNA Barcoding of Fish and Marine Life
- Nano Technology
- Disease Surveillence
- HRD in Molecular Biology
- Vaccines and Diagnostics
- Assessment of Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) in micro-organisms
- Ornamental fish breeding and culture
- Agri-Business Incubation (ABls)